Saturday

Week 33

33 weeks was the actual week that Sybella died. She died at 33 weeks and 5 days, approximately. She was born at 34 weeks and 1 day.
This week was so consumed by anxiety that I wondered if I was losing my mind. My stomach was in a constant knot. I couldnt keep food down. I stopped sleeping, after hearing that most babies die at night, when the mother is asleep because thats when her blood pressure drops. Constipation pain became a placental abruption, in my mind.
I turned up to hospital daily. Some staff were more than understanding. Others wanted me to get my act together. One particular midwife told me "I'm just a midwife. I cant cope with your anxiety. I dont know what to do for you." My response? "All you have to do is put the transducer on. That is all." I dont want anyone to have to "cope" with my anxiety. I know it's irrational. No-one can take it away, and I think that many midwives think that I want them to. I dont. All I want, is to turn up for heart monitoring without resistance or questions. I dont want to explain myself. I just want to say "I am anxious today. I am having a bad day. Can I please hear the baby's heartbeat?" Then I want them to agree, and hook me up, and leave me alone to concentrate on that beautiful thudding.
At 33 weeks and 6 days, I saw an obstetrician, not The Boss, as he was on holidays. I saw his replacement. I spilled everything. I told her I wasnt coping. She set me up with a hospital psychiatrist, who was lovely and helpful. We discussed an inpatient admission to the Maternity ward. Although the thought was alluring, logistically, I have Jack's birthday and first day of school coming up and dont want to miss those.
I am deeply fearful and am doubting more and more every day that I will birth this baby alive. Instinctively, I know he is okay. I know he is strong, and I can "see" him. But I am so profoundly affected by Sybella's death that my confidence and trust is completely shot.

There is even a point now where I wonder if too much movement is an issue! For the last two days, Rainbow Baby has had 15-20 minute bursts of energy (usually after a meal) where he doesnt stop wriggling at all. He calms down after a while and goes back to his normal pattern. But of course, I wonder "is he okay?"

I have a c-section booked for Feb 21. I wont feel at peace until then. 

See Baby This Week

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Beautiful Lady! You've done such a fabulous job of growing and taking care of Rainbow Baby so far, you absolutely deserve hugs and pats on the back and flowing champagne and three cheers and all the rest of it, but you probably won't get any of that until Feb 21 :) I can't believe Jack is starting school! I can't believe he's old enough! You and Kelvin must be so excited (and Jack too!) Hopefully you will be busy with his preparations and they will let you keep listening for daily reassurance and the time will fly by... Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than a month now Steph. Hang in there. You couldn't be not profoundly affected by Sybella's death - it's normal.

    Maddie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sound very alike. And it sounds like some midwives dealt with us in the same way. I hate how it can be a lottery on who you see each time you front up at the hospital. I wish all the midwives could be more understanding.
    I don't know what else to say to help you get through this, as it is bloody hard, but just keep on keeping on.
    xo

    ReplyDelete