Tuesday

Week 34

Here I am. Week 34. The gestational week I found out that Sybella had died.
Truthfully, week 33 seemed worse, in hindsight, as it signalled the anticipation of approaching week 34.
Still, though, I was badly anxious. Badly. My stomach was in a constant knot. I wasnt sleeping. One particular night, I woke up, heart pounding, sweating, and desperately trying to feel him move. He didnt move for about twenty minutes. For those twenty minutes, I was convinced he had died. I cried and beseeched "please move...please move." Eventually, he did and the relief then made me break out in new, cold sweat. In the morning, I had an appointment at 11am for heart monitoring, but I woke early, jumped in the shower and was physically sick from nerves. I gagged and retched under the water, shaking all the while. "This is not normal," I told myself, and I knew it well. I arrived for my appointment at 9am, two hours early. I sat there, jiggling my foot, until the midwife eventually let me in before my appointment time. Once attached to the monitor, I relaxed slightly but watched the baby's heartbeat like a hawk. My trace finished, so I went to the hospital cafeteria to have lunch. That made me nervous, as there wasnt much to choose from. I went with Subway, only salad and cheese, toasted and microwaved (mmm, hot, soggy lettuce) and a chiller drink from Gloria Jeans. Milk drink products seemed to fill me up, as I wasnt tolerating proper food all that well. Before leaving, I went to the bathroom. I noticed on the toilet paper, a tiny reddish-black blob. Clot like. But tiny, like a matchhead. I went to the car and sat there for a while, wondering what to do. Should I go back and tell a midwife? Or go home and see if anything else happened? After speaking to Kelvin, he told me to go back and tell someone, otherwise I would panic all night.
I did that, and found myself at L&D, strapped to a monitor again, and getting a speculum exam. Nice. No obvious bleeding was seen, and my cervix was closed. Good stuff. But on the machine, the baby's heart was racing. "Tachycardia" was the word they used, which is a horrible word. For a good two hours I sat there, having horrid Braxton Hicks, watching the heartrate stay twenty beats above the normal baseline. In my mind, I envisioned cord accidents, fetal hypoxia, and the tachycardia being the beginning of the baby's distress. Needless to say, that night I was a mess again. I didnt sleep, I just lay there, frozen, counting movements and googling "fetal hypoxia."
The next day, I gave up. I rang my midwife and asked to be admitted to hospital. I needed emotional respite. I needed to be free of responsibility. I needed to sleep.

See Baby This Week

1 comment:

  1. Steph sweetie, this is so brutal and I feel for you so much. I never ended up being admitted, but god damn I have no idea how. I lay awake so many nights convinced he was dead. If I hadn't felt him move in any amount of time, I was sure that was it. I used the doppler ALL night some nights. Even when I could hear his heartbeat, I still freaked. I too used to watch the fetal heart monitor like a hawk. No lying there and getting bored as I've heard some (non-loss) mums say. I didn't take my eyes off the god damned machine. Those things only served to reassure me while I was there. As soon as I walked out of there, fear set in again. Hope died three days after a perfectly normal and reactive CTG test.
    Do you know the day Angus was born, I sat in the car on the way to the hospital using the doppler at the traffic lights? I'm sure the people beside us must have thought "what the eff is that crazy, huge pregnant lady doing?" Do you know how hard it is to use a doppler sitting up when you're 38 weeks - bloody hard! But that's how batshit crazy I had become: I was sure he'd die on the way to the hospital the day he was due to be born. My c-section then got put back 40 mins or so, and I ordered the midwife to hook me up to the monitor the entire time I waited, in case he died during that time. Even up to the point of the surgeon getting ready to cut me open, I was worried he would die. Because at that point, I hadn't heard his heartbeat for a good 20 mins, and I obviously wasn't feeling anything as my whole lower body was numb.
    I think you're normal and handling this in a very normal way. Either that, or we're both crazy.
    But really, who cares? I'm here supporting you all the way.
    Whoa, long comment. Whoops.....

    ReplyDelete